Proof of Age

Parents/guardians are to provide proof of age for their child. Hospital Certificates or Birth Cards are not acceptable. An official birth certificate from the Bureau of Vital Statistics is the primary proof of age document required. Only in cases where the birth certificate is not obtainable will other proof of age documents as outlined below be accepted. If available, a copy of the birth certificate is to be placed in the student’s Cumulative Record Folder and the birth registration number is to be recorded in the appropriate place on the Cumulative Record Folder.

Primary Proof of Age Document

  • Birth certificate “Where to Apply for Birth Certificates”
  • Children born in Miami-Dade County, Florida – Apply to Department of Health, Bureau of Vital Statistics, Miami, Florida
  • Children born in the State of Florida – Apply to Bureau of Vital Statistics, Jacksonville, Florida
  • Children born outside the State of Florida but in the U.S.A. – A list of addresses for the Bureau of Vital Statistics for each state is provided

Secondary Proof of Age Documents

**These are only to be used if a birth certificate is not obtainable

  • A duly attested transcript of a Certificate of Baptism showing the date of birth and place of baptism of the child, accompanied by an affidavit sworn to by the parent; or
  • An insurance policy on the child’s life which has been in force for at least two years.
  • A bona fide contemporary Bible record of the child’s birth accompanied by an affidavit sworn to by the parent; or
  • A passport or Certificate of Arrival (not to be copied as per FDOE/META consent Decree) in the United States showing the age of the child; or
  • A transcript of record of age shown in the child’s school record of at least 4 years prior to application, stating date of birth.
  • Verification obtained from (out-of-state transfer records) or from the Migrant Student Record Transfer System (MSRTS) for a migrant student. (Not valid for entrance to PK and K).

If none of this evidence can be produced, then the parent/guardian must supply an

  • AFFIDAVIT OF AGE, FM-4681 ESH, sworn by the parent, and accompanied by a Certificate of Age signed by a public health officer or by a public school physician, or, if neither of these shall be available in the county, by a licensed practicing physician designated by the school board, which certificate shall state that the health officer of physician has examined the child and believes that the age as stated in the affidavit is substantially correct.